Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Polaroid Emulsion Transfers





The second half of our first project is to do an Emulsion Transfer. I took a normally exposed and developed Polaroid photo, cooked it in simmering hot water until the whole of the emulsion came off the backing. It just peeled right off. You do this under warm water so the emulsion stays flexible. It kinda reminded me of a jelly fish floating around. You then put something else in the water with it to take the place of the backing material. I used watercolor paper, a glass bud vase and a metallic piece of tile left over from when I did the bathroom. The objects are put into the water and the emulsion is just nudged until it floats into the approximate position. You hold two corners down and slowly pull the object out of the water. As the water drains off it pulls the emulsion straight and flat. If it comes out wrinkled you just dunk that section back in and let the water straighten it back out for you. Once it dries it hardens back up and becomes attached permanently.
I think the best one was my bud vase. I picked a landscape image with lots of clear pale sky. It seemed to go really well with the transparent nature of the emulsion.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jessica Dwyer Photography said...

I think this glass came out really nice.

8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home